Nutrition Information per serving:
- Calories: 230
- Total Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 270mg
- Total Carbs: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- 4 baked potatoes or 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped) about 1 cup
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups chicken broth, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional garnishes: sliced green onion, bacon bits, shredded cheese
1. Remove skins and mash potatoes into small pieces to make about 3 cups. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and green pepper if desired. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
3. Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Stir in milk, potatoes, peas, and pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cheese slices. Cook and stir about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Add more milk if soup is thicker than you prefer.
5. Add garnishes, if desired, and serve immediately.