- 1 can salmon, 16 oz (Use canned salmon with bones to get extra calcium.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cold water
- 1/4 cup minced celery (optional)
- 1 tablespoon green pepper (optional)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole grain bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons whole grain flour
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Wash fresh vegetables (if using).
2. Collect, mince, and measure all ingredients before starting to prepare the recipe.
3. Open salmon, and drain liquid into a liquid measuring cup. Add lemon juice and cold water to the salmon liquid to make ½ cup liquid total, and set aside.
4. Put the salmon in a separate mixing bowl. Mix in the celery (if using), green pepper (if using), and onion.
5. In another small bowl, beat the eggs. Then, add them to the salmon mixture.
6. Add the bread or cracker crumbs, flour, pepper, and the salmon liquid mixture to the salmon mixture, and stir until all ingredients are mixed together.
7. Use ⅓ cup measuring cup to measure salmon mixture. Shape into a ½ inch thick patty, and place on a plate. Repeat to make 6 patties.
8. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add 3 patties.
9. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes (or until golden brown) on each side.
10. Remove patties from skillet, and place on a clean paper towel-lined plate to drain. Cook remaining 3 patties, then serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3 to 5 days.