Nutrition Information per serving:
- Calories: 515
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: .426g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 720mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 65g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 21g
- ½ pound andouille sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
1. Brown the sausage with the onion, garlic and celery for about 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, 2 cups water, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, cayenne, paprika, hot sauce, bay leaf, and rice.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the rice, decrease heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Add the green pepper, stir well, cover and let stand 10 minutes. Stir before serving.