Parents nationwide, in big cities and in small towns, are all concerned about the eating habits of their families. And for good reason. Being a healthy role model for your family is one of the most important things you can do. Finding ways to keep your family healthy and strong can be a challenge. The Eat Right Foundation worked closely with Registered Dietitians and parents like you to develop a program to teach the 8 Habits you can adopt to make your family a WICstrong family.
1. Be physically active at least 1 hour a day.
2. Spend less than 2 hours a day playing video, computer and cell phone games or watching TV.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast every day.
4. Eat vegetables and fruits at all meals and snacks.
5. Make time for healthy family meals at home.
6. Be wise about portion size.
7. Drink water, low-fat, or fat-free milk instead of soft drinks and other sweetened beverages.
8. Ensure regular bedtime for your children and teens to include at least 9 hours of sleep every night.
The Eat Right Foundation created the RD Parent Empowerment Program to empower parents to be healthier role models for themselves, their families, and even their peers. To help you, they created a Parent Guidebook for all parents, grandparents, foster parents and caregivers. Registered dietitians (RDs) developed and tested this program with parents like you in communities across the country. This guidebook includes simple strategies to help you be the health leader for your family. This guidebook is designed to help empower all parents to adopt healthy habits for their children and families. The guidebook is available in English, Spanish and Chinese. The recipes included in the guidebook can be adapted to include other healthy and culturally appropriate ingredients as desired.
Click here for more information on the Parent Empowerment program or to learn more about the Eat Right Foundation.