Nutrition Information per serving:
- Calories: 240
- Total Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 530mg
- Total Carbs: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 13g
- 3 cups black beans, cooked*
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped (about ½ medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Mexican style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice (optional)
- Nonfat yogurt or low fat sour cream and cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare beans as directed.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook. Stir until onion begins to soften (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Add chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, beans, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes (covered).
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime or lemon juice, if desired.
6. Garnish before serving.
*You can use 2 cans (15 ounces) reduced sodium black beans (rinsed) in place of the cooked black beans.