Using Your Exempt Formula Checks
1. Before you shop:
Before heading to the store, plan your trip. Not all authorized stores accept WIC exempt formula checks. Authorized pharmacies, and authorized grocery stores that have pharmacies in them can accept all exempt formula checks.
Certain grocery stores that have been approved by NYS DOH can accept exempt formula checks for the following types of formula:
- Enfamil Infant
- Enfamil A.R.
- Enfamil Gentlease
- Gerber Good Start Soy
- Enfamil Nutramigen and Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora LGG
- Similac Alimentum
- Neocate Jr.
- Neocate Infant with DHA and ARA
- EleCare for Infants
- EleCare Jr.
- Boost/Boost High Protein
- Boost Kid Essentials
- Bright Beginnings Soy Drink
- Ensure and Ensure Plus
- PediaSure/PediaSure with Fiber
- PediaSure Enteral/PediaSure Enteral with Fiber
2. Exempt formula checks include a reminder message that states, “This check must be cashed at a WIC pharmacy or grocery store approved to accept exempt formula checks”.
3. Your local agency can provide you with a list of stores that can accept exempt formula checks or you can also visit the vendor website. Using the searchable mapping tool under “Find a WIC Store”, filter the store by the store type icon (Exempt Formula Grocers, Grocery, Pharmacy and Grocer with Embedded Pharmacy) and check the details button to correctly identify the formula the vendor can redeem WIC benefits for.
Click here to see an example Exempt Formula Check.