#WICStrong is a strong, happy, and healthy lifestyle for both you and your kids. 6 of the 10 leading causes of death in the United States are linked to poor diets. The best thing you can do for you and your children is set a great example for them by swapping your cheeseburger for a salad and turning off the TV to go play outside. WIC is here to support and encourage you in these efforts.
Talk with a WIC Counselor today to develop a customized plan to make your family #WICStrong
Proper nutrition promotes the optimal growth and development of children.
Healthy eating is associated with the reduced risk for many diseases including several of the leading causes of death like heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.
Eating a healthy breakfast is associated with improving moods and brain function.
Avocados have more than twice as much potassium as a banana.
Some tips for a healthier lifestyle:
- Enjoy your food but eat less.
- Make half your plate fruits/vegetables.
- Make at least half your grain intake whole grains.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Eat slower to realize when you’re full.
- Drink water with lemon to help cut out soda.
- Eat together at the table instead of in front of the television.
- Talk to your WIC office to put together a healthy living plan!
10 ways to help your child combine fitness and fun!
- Visit the playground often.
- Walk places with your child instead of driving.
- Get a tricycle or small bicycle with training wheels.
- Take your child swimming.
- Kick around a soccer ball or play catch with a football or baseball.
- Build your own obstacle course to run through with your child.
- Encourage your child to play games and sports with other kids.
- Teach your child how to hop like a bunny or jump like a frog.
- Run races together.
- Let your child do simple chores that keep them active and make them feel “grown up.”
For more information on health and nutritional choices, visit choosemyplate.gov.