WIC provides tools to help you and your family have a happier and healthier lifestyle. The top six leading causes of death in the United States are linked to poor diets. Be a positive example and encourage a healthier lifestyle by preparing a nutritious, home-cooked meal (link recipe page) and by being physically active (link physical activity page). Leading a healthy lifestyle can be fun and WIC is here to help support you!
What are the benefits of a healthy diet?
- Children need nutrients to grow and develop.
- A balanced diet gives your body energy to get through the day!
- Water helps with digestion.
- Healthy eating reduces many diseases including heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.
- Eating a healthy breakfast improves mood and brain function.
Talk with a WIC Counselor today to develop a personal meal plan for your family!
Tips for a Healthier Diet:
- Enjoy your food!
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Eat whole-grains.
- Follow serving sizes on nutrition labels and recipes.
- Eat slowly.
- Drink water instead of soda.
- Eat together as a family when possible.
- Turn off the TV and electronics during meals.
Looking for more information on Health and Nutrition for you and your family? Here are a few good brochures to help you get started:
- How to use fruits and vegetables to help manage your weight
- Health eating for preschoolers
- Guide to buying fresh fruits and vegetables
You can also go to www.choosemyplate.gov for other health and nutrition information!